First Floor - Xàbia and its walls

English

XÀBIA AND ITS WALLS IN MODERN TIMES

In the late 15th and early 16th centuries the town of Xàbia saw a significant increase in population and strong urban development.
Demographic data shows an almost 50% increase between 1493 and 1510 in the number of households - from 189 houses, or approximately 756 inhabitants, to 282 homes or approximately 1,128 inhabitants. Accompanying this major population increase, the first decades of the 16th century were characterized by a large amount of construction. In 1513 the architect Urteaga began the construction and expansion of the church-fortress of San Bartolomé. A few years previously, in 1502, the Marquis had ordered the building of the hospital to be located on the Carrer d'Avall, of which the Gothic chapel of St. Anne is still preserved. Some years later, in mid-16th century, the church of l'Oreto was built but is now destroyed.

The town of Xàbia grew to the east and the west of the ancient 14th century nucleus, creating a new perimeter which is still followed today by the Rondas (ring roads), which give the town its characteristic angular shape. Archaeological investigations date the construction of the walls that surrounded the rondas to the late 15th or early 16th century, although the first known documentary reference is 1554, by which time the walls and gates were already built.

Archaeological monitoring of modern works carried out on the Rondas allows us to understand the construction of the wall. It is 100/120 cm thick and was built with a heavy mortar of lime and "piedra viva" (a particularly hard limestone), using blocks of rough tosca on the angles and corners. Between this wall and the houses of the town was a narrow alley 2 to 2.50m wide. The wall had three main gates: portal del Clot, portal de la Ferreria and portal de la Mar. In the early 19th century a new gate was opened, portal Nou. The doors and the section of the wall facing east were reinforced with round towers, some of them armed, and over the doors strong machicolations (floor openings through which stones, or other objects, could be dropped on attackers) were built to protect the access.

In the late 18th and early 19th centuries a type of slope or barbican was built in front of the wall, about 34m long, located north of the current Avenida Príncipe de Asturias. This structure had three sloping buttresses on a trapezoidal floor, with a wall only 40/45 cm thick.
The old walls, which had protected the town for centuries, were demolished between 1869 and 1874, following the new liberal and progressive ideas of the time. However, a part of the foundations of that wall are now visible on the Avenida Príncipe de Asturias, and have been rebuilt to allow us to appreciate their function and characteristics.


Castellano/Valenciano

XÀBIA Y SUS MURALLAS EN ÉPOCA MODERNA

A finales del siglo XV y principios del XVI, la villa de Xàbia tuvo un importante incremento demográfico y un fuerte crecimiento urbano. Las series demográficas nos indican un crecimiento de casi el 50 % de casas entre el año 1493 (con 189 casas, que corresponderían aproximadamente a unos 756 habitantes) y el 1510 (con 282 casas, aproximadamente unos 1128 habitantes). Acompañando esa importante subida demográfica, las primeras décadas del siglo XVI se caracterizarán por un fuerte impulso constructivo. El año 1513, el maestro Urteaga comienza la construcción y ampliación de la iglesia-fortaleza de San Bartolomé. Pocos años antes, el 1502 le marqués había ordenado construir la casa-hospital situada a la calle d'Avall, del que aún se conserva la capilla gótica de Santa Ana, y años después, a mediados del siglo XVI se edificó la iglesia del Oreto, ahora desaparecida.

La villa de Xàbia se ensanchó a levante y poniente del antiguo recinto del siglo XIV, con un nuevo perímetro aún hoy definido por las rondas que confieren a la villa esa planta hexagonal tan característica. Las investigaciones arqueológicas nos permiten situar la fecha de construcción de las murallas que circunvalaban las rondas a finales del siglo XV o principios del XVI, aunque la primera referencia documental conocida es de 1554, momento en el que las murallas y sus portales ya estaban construidos.

El seguimiento arqueológico de las obras realizadas en las rondas nos ha permitido conocer las características de la muralla, que fue
construida con un fuerte mortero de cal y piedra viva, que utiliza los sillares de tosca en los ángulos y las cantoneras, y que presenta un espesor de 100/120 cm. Este muro formaba una estrecha calleja de 2 o 2,50 metros con las casas de la villa, y tenía tres puertas principales: el portal del Clot, el portal de la Ferreria y el portal de la Mar. A principios del siglo XIX se abrió una portezuela llamada el portal Nou. Las puertas y los tramos de la muralla orientados a levante fueron reforzados con torres redondas, algunas de ellas artilladas, y encima de las puertas se construyeron fuertes matacanes por proteger los accesos.

A finales del siglo XVIII o principios del XIX se construyó una especie de talud, antemuro o barbacana de unos 34 metros de longitud, situado al norte de la actual avenida Príncipe de Asturias. Esta estructura presenta tres contrafuertes ataludados de planta trapezoidal, con un muro de solo unos 40/45 cm. de espesor.

Aquellas viejas murallas que protegieron la villa durante tantos siglos, fueron derribadas entre 1869 y 1874 siguiendo los nuevos corrientes liberales y progresistas de la época. De aquella cerca, quedan ahora una parte de sus basamentos aparecidos a la avenida Príncep d'Astúries que han sido reconstruidos y nos permiten aproximarnos a su función y características.

Français

XÀBIA ET SES MURAILLES AUX TEMPS MODERNES

A la fin du XVe s. et au début du XVIe s., la ville de Xabia connut un important accroissement démographique et un fort développement urbain. Les séries démographiques nous indiquent une augmentation des habitations de presque 50 % entre 1493 (189 maisons qui correspondaient approximativement à 756 habitants) et 1510 (282 maisons, approximativement 1128 habitants).

Dans les premières décades du XVIe s., cette importante poussée démographique fut accompagnée d’un fort mouvement de constructions. En 1513, le maître Urteaga commença la construction et l’agrandissement de l’église-forteresse de San Bartolomé. Quelques années auparavant, en 1502, le marquis avait ordonné la construction de la maison hôpital située dans la rue d’Avall, de laquelle on conserve aujourd’hui la chapelle gothique de Santa Ana. Quelques années plus tard, au milieu du XVIe s., on édifia encore l’église de l’Oreto, aujourd’hui disparue.

La ville de Xabia s’est agrandie à l’est et à l’ouest de l’ancienne enceinte du XIVe s. avec un nouveau périmètre encore défini aujourd’hui par les rues périphériques qui confèrent à la ville cette forme hexagonale si caractéristique. Les investigations archéologiques nous permettent de situer la date de construction des murailles qui entouraient la ville à la fin du XVe s. ou au début du XVIe s., même si les premières références documentées connues datent de 1554, moment où les murailles et les portes de la ville étaient déjà construites.

Les fouilles archéologiques réalisées sur les rues périphériques nous ont permis de connaitre les caractéristiques de la muraille qui fut construite avec un fort mortier de chaux et des pierres brutes pour une épaisseur de 100/120 cm. Les angles et les arrêtes ont été réalisés avec des pierres de taille de tosca. Cette muraille était séparée des maisons de la ville par un espace de 2m/2m50 qui formait une petite ruelle.

La muraille était percée de trois portes principales, le portal del Clot, le portal de la Ferreria et le portal de la Mar. Au début du XIXe s., on ouvrit une quatrième porte, plus petite, appelée le Portal Nou. Les portes et les tronçons de murailles orientés à l’est furent renforcés par des tours rondes; certaines d’entre elles furent équipées d’installations pour l’artillerie, et, en-dessus des portes, on construisit des mâchicoulis pour protéger les accès.

A la fin du XVIIIe s. ou au début du XIXe s., on construisit, au nord de l’actuelle avenue Principe de Asturias, un espèce de talus, avant-mur ou barbacane de 34 mètres de long. Cette structure présente un mur de seulement 40/45 cm d’épaisseur, renforcé de trois contreforts en remblai de plan trapézoïdal.

Ces vieilles murailles qui protégèrent la ville durant des siècles, furent démolies entre 1869 et 1874 suivant les nouveaux courants libéraux et progressistes de cette époque.

Aujourd’hui, afin de nous rappeler les fonctions et les caractéristiques de ces murailles, une partie de leurs fondations ont été dégagées et reconstruites sur l’avenue Principe de Asturias.


Deutsche

German text here

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License