The Architecture - a reflection of its history

Castellano

La Arquitectura: Reflejo de su historia

(Part 1)

Siguiendo su trazado medieval, la villa continuó creciendo alrededor de la Iglesia, estableciéndose en sus inmediaciones los edificios más representativos.
Frente a la fachada lateral de la Iglesia encontramos el Ayuntamiento, dónde originariamente se encontraba la Ermita de San Cristóbal (S.XVII) construida sobre una antigua necrópolis cristiana, “el fossar “(s.XIV – XV). De esta edificación original destacan los característicos “porxens” de la fachada posterior, que formaban una lonja abierta donde se celebraba el mercado. De estos cinco arcos, ahora cegados, uno sigue abierto comunicando la Plaça de Baix con la de l´Església.
El actual Ayuntamiento (s.XVIII-XX) posee una fachada de cierto estilo neoclásico. La antigua ermita sirvió, entre otros usos, como escuela pública, y posteriormente como Capilla de la Virgen de los Desamparados hasta 1890.

Sin dejar los alrededores de la Iglesia, frente a su fachada septentrional nos encontramos con el actual Mercado Municipal de Abastos. Si bien la actual construcción no corresponde a época medieval, en este solar se construyó en el s.XVII el Convento de las Agustinas Descalzas, en cuyo huerto había una torre, probablemente la d´en Cairat, donde reposaba el cuerpo de Sor María Gallard, fundadora de la comunidad. Durante la Guerra Civil (1936-39) el viejo convento fue destruido por el consejo municipal para edificar en su lugar un mercado cubierto. La guerra impidió realizar este proyecto y hubo que esperar hasta el 1946, año en el que se inauguró el actual Mercado Municipal de Abastos, construido buscando cierto estilo que no desentonara con la cercana iglesia.

English

THE ARCHITECTURE: A REFLECTION OF ITS HISTORY (part 1)

Keeping to the medieval layout, the town continued to expand around the Church and some of the finest buildings of the period were erected in its vicinity.

Facing the side wall of the Church is the Town Hall, where the 17th century Ermita (Sanctuary) of San Cristóbal was originally located. It was constructed on an early 14th to 15th century Christian graveyard locally called “el fossar". Of the original building, most noteworthy is the distinctive "porxens" (covered arcade) of the rear façade, which formed an open-air place where the market was held. Of its five arches, four are now sealed and the only one still open connects the Plaça de Baix to the Plaça de l´Església (Church Square).

The current Town Hall (18th-20th century) has a façade with a certain neo-classic style. Among other uses, this former sanctuary has been a public school and subsequently until 1890 the Chapel of La Virgen de los Desamparados (Virgin Mary of the Homeless).

Without leaving the area near the church, opposite its north façade is the present day covered Municipal Market. The current building does not belong to the medieval period. In fact in the 17th century the Convento de las Agustinas Descalzas (Convent of the Barefoot Augustine Nuns) was built on the site. Its orchard housed a tower which was most likely the En Cairat Tower. Here rested the mortal remains of Sister María Gallard, founder of the religious community.

During the Spanish Civil War (1936-39) the former convent building was demolished by the Municipal Council to build a covered marketplace instead. The war hindered the completion of the project and it was not until 1946 that the current Municipal Market was inaugurated. Its architectural style was designed to be compatible with the nearby Church.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License