The Growth of the Raisin Trade - Modern Xàbia

Castellano

El auge del comercio de la pasa: LA XÀBIA MODERNA

Como consecuencia de su apoyo a los Borbones durante la Guerra de Sucesión, (1705-1714), Xàbia obtuvo una serie de privilegios y concesiones por parte de la Corona. En 1709, por privilegio de Felipe V le fue concedido el título de Lealísima Villa, y en 1712 Xàbia obtuvo el privilegio de poder embarcar sus productos. Este hecho favoreció la exportación de mercancías desde el puerto, que lo convirtieron en el activador de la economía local, primero por la importación de trigo y después por el comercio de la pasa.

Este último marcó sin duda una era de esplendor en la historia de Xàbia. La relevancia de la elaboración y comercialización de este producto, que culminará en el s. XIX , supuso un crecimiento económico y demográfico, que se vió claramente reflejado en una gran expansión urbanística como se pone de manifiesto en la arquitectura de la época.

La fuerte demanda nordeuropea atrajo los barcos de vapor al puerto de Xàbia, construyéndose un muelle a principios del ultimo cuarto del siglo XIX. En este mismo sentido, también se establecieron importantes infraestructuras como el telégrafo, alumbrado eléctrico, imprentas, teatro, trinquet, plaza de toros, algunas de ellas ya desaparecidas.


A finales del s. XVIII y durante el s. XIX, la burguesía mercantil local dedicada a la exportación de la pasa, y los propietarios agrarios, eligieron los alrededores de la iglesia para construir ostentosos edificios de los que son claro ejemplo: Casa dels Bolufer, Casa de les Primícies, Casa Arnauda ( o de la Senyoreta Josefina), Casa Abadía, Casa de Montalbán (Capitán de la flota de pailebotes de la familia Bolufer), y la Casa de Tena (actualmente CA Lambert)

Esta última, construida en 1857, que albergó a principios de s. XX la farmacia del mismo nombre, ha sido rehabilitada recientemente para albergar actividades culturales.

En 1805 se abrió la cuarta puerta de la muralla, el Portal Nou en la actual Pl. Marina Alta, pero pocos años más tarde, entre 1869 y 1874, se derriban definitivamente las murallas para acometer la expansión urbanística de la villa y se plantea la ejecución de l´Eixample (ensanche), con amplias avenidas para favorecer el tránsito de mercancías desde la Pl. del Convent, dónde llegaban los principales caminos comarcales, hacia el puerto. Estas son las actuales avenidas Príncep d’Astúries, dónde siguieron construyendo sus casas los agricultores enriquecidos gracias a la pasa, y Av. D’ Alacant, dónde se instaló parte de la burguesía mercantil.


En este período triunfó el estilo ecléctico, que arraigó profundamente en la burguesía xabiera, con tres modelos básicamente: Uno elige la simetría y austeridad (Ej: Casa dels Bolufer) con molduras planas de tosca que marcan la división entre los diferentes pisos, enfatizando la horizontalidad del edificio, enmarcando ventanas y puertas, así como el zócalo. Las rejas y balcones son de forja y la madera de mobila. Otro modelo es el "romántico" (Ej.C/Major), que sustituye las molduras planas de tosca por otras de yeso con motivos vegetales. Por último encontramos un grupo de casas que recogen numerosos elementos neoclasicistas como las pilastras que enmarcan la entrada, con arco de medio punto y montante de abanico, triglifos y metopas bajo el voladizo. (Ej. Casa de Tena, Casa Arnauda, Abadía..)


Como testimonio de la importancia que alcanzó el comercio de la pasa quedan en Xàbia los “riurau”, construcción rectangular de mampostería común y tosca, con grandes arcadas o “ulls”, con cuya finalidad era albergar la uva extendida en cañizos para su secado. Uno de los mayores es el riurau de los Català d´Arnauda, recientemente trasladado desde su ubicación original al Parque Montaner.

English

The Growth of the Raisin Trade: MODERN XÀBIA

As consequence of its support of the Bourbon monarchy during the Spanish War of Succession (1705-1714) Xàbia was granted a series of privileges and concessions by the Royal Crown. In 1709 a privilege from King Felipe V granted it the title of “Lealísima Villa” (Most Loyal Town), and in 1712 it obtained the privilege to ship its own products. This event encouraged the export of goods from the port, transforming it into the motor of the local economy, firstly through wheat imports and afterwards because of the raisin trade.

The latter undoubtedly represents an era of splendour in Xàbia's history. The importance of raisin production and trade, which reached its peak in the 19th century, resulted in major economic and demographic growth which is clearly reflected in the large-scale urban expansion and by the style of architecture from that period.

The intense northern European demand for raisins attracted steam ships to the port of Xàbia, where a quay was constructed in the final decades of the 19th century. In the same period other major infrastructures were also established such as the telegraph, electric lighting, printing presses, theatres, trinquet (Valencian handball court) and bullfighting arenas, several of which have now disappeared.


At the end of the 18th century and during the 19th century, the local merchant bourgeoisie involved in raisin exportation, as well as the agricultural landowners, selected the area near the Church to build ostentatious buildings. Prominent examples are the Casa dels Bolufer, Casa de les Primícies, Casa Arnauda (or Senyoreta Josefina/Miss Josefina), Casa Abadía, Casa de Montalbán (Captain of the “pailebotes” or clipper ship fleet owned by the Bolufer family) and the Casa de Tena (now known as the CA Lambert Cultural Centre).

The latter was built in 1857. At the beginning of the 20th century, it was a pharmacy with the same name. It has been recently refurbished to house cultural activities.

In 1805 the fourth gate in the city wall was opened - the "Portal Nou" (New Gate) in the current Ronda Nord. However a few years later, between 1869 and 1874, the town walls were demolished once and for all to accommodate the town’s urban expansion. An extension of the town or "l´Eixample" was planned with wide avenues to ease the transport of goods to the Port from the Plaça del Convent (Convent Square), where the main district roads arrived. These avenues are the present day Príncep d’Astúries, where the farmers who earned their wealth from raisins continued to build their homes, and Avenida d’ Alacant, where part of the merchant bourgeoisie settled.


The eclectic style triumphed in this age and was especially popular among Xàbia's bourgeoisie with three basic models. One style selected symmetry and austerity (for example, Casa dels Bolufer). Flat sandstone mouldings mark the division between the different floors, emphasising the building’s horizontal plane, and also framing the windows and doors as well as the baseboards. The grilles and balconies were made of wrought iron and "mobila” (aged pine wood). Another model was the "romantic style" (for example, houses in Carrer Major), where the flat sandstone mouldings were replaced by plaster ones with decorative floral motifs. Finally, we find a group of houses which contain numerous neoclassical elements such as pilasters which frame the entrance, semi-circular arch and fan-shaped window panes over the door, and a decorative frieze under the roof cornice (for example, Casa de Tena, Casa Arnauda, Abadía, etc.).


Testimony of the importance of the raisin trade to Xàbia are the “riurau” (raisin drying facilities). These are rectangular structures made of stone masonry and tosca sandstone with large “ulls” (arcades). Their purpose was to shelter the grapes laid out to dry on “cañizos” (woven cane mats). One of the largest raisin drying structures is the “Riurau de los Català d´Arnauda”, recently transferred from its original site to the Montaner Park.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License