The Medieval Town

Castellano

LA VILLA MEDIEVAL

La antigua villa medieval fue un pequeño recinto cerrado por una muralla del siglo XIV que definía una trama urbana de calles estrechas con un desarrollo casi ortogonal, con un perímetro que correspondería, aproximadamente, a las actuales calles Roques, Ronda Sud, Sant Josep, Verge del Pilar, Pastores, Príncep de Astúries y Ronda Nord. Este primitivo núcleo amurallado, tuvo en su interior una fortificación o cortigium que aprovecho y reutilizó en algún caso, estructuras defensivas anteriores, probablemente de época andalusí, como la torre llamada de En Cairat, o la primitiva iglesia, que correspondería con el ábside del actual edificio.

El importante crecimiento demográfico experimentado en Xàbia durante el s.XV supuso una evolución urbanística, ya que el primitivo recinto amurallado era insuficiente para acoger este incremento de la población. Esto supuso, a finales de este siglo o principios del XVI, una modificación del perímetro de la murallas para abrir nuevos viales, efectuándose un nuevo trazado de las mismas que discurría por las actuales rondas que circundan la villa con accesos por el Portal de la Ferreria, Portal del Clot y Portal de la Mar.

En medio de este entramado de calles y como edificio más emblemático de la población encontramos la IGLESIA FORTALEZA DE SAN BARTOLOMÉ. Su exquisita combinación estética y defensiva le valieron la declaración de Monumento histórico artístico en 1931. Su obra principal data de los S.XIV al XVI, con ampliaciones en los s.XVIII y XIX, y es considerado una de los ejemplos más bellos del gótico isabelino o plateresco.

English

THE MEDIEVAL TOWN

The old medieval town was a small settlement surrounded by a wall built in the 14th century which enclosed an urban area of narrow streets on an angular pattern. The perimeter would have corresponded approximately to the present day streets of Roques, Ronda Sud (South Ring Road), Sant Josep, Verge del Pilar, Pastores, Príncep de Astúries and Ronda Nord (North Ring Road). Within the primitive walled nucleus was a further walled fortified refuge with a tower. This took advantage of and in some cases reused previous defensive structures, probably from the Moorish period - for example the “En Cairat” tower - or the primitive church, which was on the site of the apse of today's building.

The major increase in Xàbia's population in the 15th century enforced urban development since the former walled town was insufficient to accommodate the continuing demographic growth. As a result, at the end of that century and in the early 16th century, modifications were made to the town walls to allow for new roads. New routes were created which bypassed the town, following today's ring roads, with access to the town centre through the gates of Portal de la Ferreria, Portal del Clot and Portal de la Mar.

In the midst of this network of streets is the town's most significant building - the fortress church of San Bartolemé. Its splendid combination of aesthetic and defensive features justified its declaration in 1931 as an Historic Artistic Monument. The main buildings were built between the 14th and 16th centuries, with additions in the 18th and 19th centuries. It is considered one of the most beautiful examples of Isabelline Gothic or “Plateresque” style, due to its intricate “silversmith” stonemasonry.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License